Job Functions Include:
- Perform economic research and analysis
- Produce studies related to economic development for the Region
- Support development of the regional economic business plan
- Prepare and maintain regional periodic “state of the economy” reports
- Collected and maintain data to support regional economic analysis
- Conduct economic forecasting and impact analysis
- Prepare reports, charts and graphs
- Write documentation on economic databases
- Analyze and present research findings
- Respond to economy-related questions from MAG staff and MAG member agencies
- Present data and reports to MAG member agencies as needed
- Provide support to member agencies with regards to socioeconomic analysis
Candidate is expected to have a thorough knowledge of:
- Principles of economic theory and their application to regional planning, public facilities, government finance, and related fields
- Principles of economic research methods, experience conducting primary and secondary economic research studies.
- Developing, validating, and documenting economic databases
- Data analysis techniques
- Econometric modeling and analysis tools
- Data sources used in economic studies, such as the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census Bureau
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with the Windows operating system and Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel; experience with presentation software
Mandatory Skills include the ability to:
- Perform complex mathematical and statistical calculations to identify and forecast trends; analyze and interpret fiscal, economic, demographic, and other related data
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with MAG member agencies, MAG staff, other agencies and the general public
- Prepare and deliver public presentations, including the ability to effectively communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Conduct analyses and evaluate results
- Write clear and concise reports and other documents
Preferred knowledge/skills include:
- Knowledge of and experience with econometric modeling and analysis tools (such as REMI, IMPLAN, SPSS, SAS, etc)
- Experience with relational database management, statistical analysis and general database query and analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, planning, statistics, or a related field, and relevant experience in regional economics is required. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience required.
- Master’s degree in economics, planning, statistics, or a related field, and relevant experience in regional economics is required.
- At least 5 years of related experience required.
Economist II salary range: $51,042 to $76,563, DOE
Economist III salary range: $59,088 to $88,631, DOE
Excellent benefits package, including participation in the Arizona State Retirement System. Starting salary will depend upon experience and qualifications.
Send completed application, resume, and cover letter to HRRE, Maricopa Association of Governments, 302 North 1st Avenue, Suite 300, Phoenix, Arizona 85003; e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; OR fax to (602) 254-6490. EOE
Download MAG Employment Application
- Do not change the format or layout of this form.
- After downloading the form, if you have any questions or problems, please request assistance.
- Answer all questions completely.
- Complete and include all supplemental forms requested.
- Read all information on this application.
- If you are mailing or faxing this form, please type or print neatly in ink.
- If you are completing this form electronically, please make sure to save changes to the PDF before attaching it to the return e-mail.